Pages

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Teaching kids real skills

Today's kids are great at sports and playing video games but do they have what they need for the real world?  We have been like most parents a pocket knife is to dangerous, they can not use the lawn mower they will chop off their toes, can not clean that because its poisonous.  Instead of saying no I am going to start teaching my kids the correct and safe way to use these tools, products, and to perform these important jobs.  I am so impressed at the knowledge kids have know a days but the lack of common sense and not being able to perform everyday tasks is very scary.  I believe parents today use video games as baby sitters and believe sports are more important then chores and work.  Now do not get me wrong it is important for your child to be well rounded but this generation has no life skills!

Today we started with a hatchet.  My 8 year old son was so excited when I said to him today you will be using a hatchet.  It all started off with us talking in the car.  I explained to Emmett the importance of respecting tools and to always think safety when using them.  After lunch we went into the basement for a brief class on how to hold, handle, and swing the hatch. At this point I believed he respected the tool but his skill level was not very good.  It was time to release him to the yard where this years Christmas tree was waiting to be chopped up.  I gave him his task first drag the tree into the back yard where we would do the chopping, second to chop off the limbs, and third stack them neatly.  He started swinging and well at this point his technique was not the fines but it was his first time.  I stood back encouraged him and even helped him with his form.  After a little while he got tired and I had to help him chop but he finished the stacking him self.

Chores like this instill life skills kids will never forget and will be able to pass on to their children.  Now if my son is put in situation where he see a tool like this he will respect it and hopefully not get hurt by it and also if he is put in a situation he has to use a tool like this he will know how to use and and how to use it safely.  Pass on these skills and trades so we have a productive next generation!

No comments:

Post a Comment