Pages

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Starting to plan the gardens and do not forget to plan for canning

So I have been hiding behind my computer now for days researching and trying to figure out how much I really need to plant to feed my family year round.  I find charts every where that try to tell me how much I need to plant for my family of four but to be honest most of these charts are extremely confusing.  Then the other people say there is no way they can tell you because it depends on what your family likes, well I am telling you one thing we are going to learn to like what I grow because that is going to be our food source.
So what I have determined is I need to start keeping records and good records!  I will write down a plan, record what I plant and where I plant it, record yields, then track what we eat, what we can, and what we give away or sell.  I figure it will take a couple years to get everything balanced out but how else will I figure it out?  I know a good example of planning is last year we dehydrated cherry and grape tomatoes. Although I thought this was a good idea we had no clue how every one would love them.  My daughter eats these like they are candy and my dad loves them too.  So next year I know I need to plan on drying at least twice as many.
In the next couple weeks I hope to have my plan all written out and ready to go so I will post it on here.  I am not 100% sure yet how anything will go but you get no where with out trying.  Please let me know if you have any ideas on yields, record keeping, or anything else to make me a better gardener/provider for my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment