Pages

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Excited for spring! Lets get gardening

So if you have read my previous blogs you will know I was trying a seed a day project.  So I have learned many of things over this first full month of cold weather and lack of sun light.  The lack of sun light really has a negative affect on the plant and makes them grow extra slow.  The seedlings inside are just not taking off like they should, I have put those under some florescent under cabinet lights I have (just because it was cheap and easy) and I do believe it has helped them grow a bit faster.  So in the future I may use some grow lights in the winter months to keep the food growing.

The second thing I have learned is the beds that grew very well in the summer time do not grow as well in the winter time.  I have finally figured out and solved all issues with the row covers but I do believe once again lack of sun light is slowing down production of my leafy greens.  These beds are great producers in the summer time and have some shade from my house but the plants do not seem to mind in the summer.  In the winter the sun moves and this area becomes almost 100% shade.  I do not believe these covers will go to waste though,  I believe if after summer crop I immediately plant fall crop and establish beets, radishes, carrots, and leafy greens it will allow the plant to stay fresh and just slow down their rate of growth.  Using this with other beds hopefully will allow my family to have fresh vegetables all winter long once we get this figured out!

That brings me to why I doing this.  Well I have always loved gardening and growing things people can eat that is the main reason.  I have never realized how distant people have got from gardening lots of people have a hobby plant or two but not a vegetable garden.  Most people I talk to love what I am trying to do and wish they could do it as well, but I do not find many people with the knowledge who can share and pass down the tradition of growing your own food.  I would like to teach my kids, friends, family, and any one else who is interested in learning.  I am learning by making mistakes and researching there are allot of great books, blogs and videos out there but it is hard to learn with out the hands on experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment